Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Brought To You By the Letters WTF!


So for Boo’s first bday, I ordered her the dvd sets of Old School Sesame Street (sets 1 & 2) which has episodes that aired between 1969 and 1979, plus a bunch of extra clips.

I ordered these because I utterly and completely detest the current incarnation of Sesame Street, which hardly touches on letters and numbers, and is way more focused on stupid crap like “getting along” and Elmo’s World. Elmo and Baby Bear and Sully are SO ANNOYING!!! There’s no more Kermit, barely any Grover, barely any Erne and Bert…they have Cookie Monster eating fruit and vegetables and saying that “cookies are a sometimes snack” now, for crying out loud! WTF!

Anyway, there’s a disclaimer on the dvd sets that the old Sesame Streets “may not be appropriate for today’s toddlers” or some such.

I am outraged by this. They can take their Politically Correct new version of Sesame Street and shove it! I love Sesame, and they ruined it. Cookie Monster eating vegetables. Bah!

So…we’ve been watching a disk of old-school Sesame each morning, and Boo loves it. Now are there some peculiar things by today’s standards? Yes, for sure. In these old episodes, they have kids talking to strangers and doing things like wandering around junk yards, LOL! There is a skit where a guy in a WWII German military helmet and uniform is standing in the forest, speaking in a German accent…we basically have a Nazi telling us that the letter Q is lazy because it can’t work without a U. ROFLMAO! Hysterical!

Luckily, baby Boo has me to teach her not to talk to strangers, and to make sure she doesn’t wander around in junk yards. Other than that, I haven’t seen a damn thing that could be construed as “inappropriate for today’s toddlers”.

Next I’m getting the dvd sets of the old Electric Company. Nothing like having Morgan Freeman teaching you to read whilst wearing some groovy bell-bottoms!

Oh well. If you are a parent of little kids, I do recommend these dvds. My daughter loves them, and they are worth their weight just for the nostalgia factor alone.


2 comments:

  1. They don't have the old Sesame Street anymore? I'm devastated! I refuse to watch the new one! It would scar me for life! When I lived with my aunt in New Jersey, she took me to a Sesame Place theme park! I was about 5 at the time,I thought for years it was the real Sesame Street! I will never forget it! Me and big bird standing side by side! I still have the photograph! I hope boo enjoyed first day! and rock on for Morgan Freeman! you can just hear him say "I'm just a clown who's feelin down"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love Morgan Freeman. Definitely one of my top five favorite actors!!! Sesame theme park...I am going to have to look in to this! Sounds like fun :)

    ReplyDelete