Teen-aged girls do a lot of stupid shit, and I was no exception.
In the mid-to-late 80's, I was a high school student down in Phoenix, AZ. Back in those days, AZ didn't have a MLB team. We had the Phoenix Firebirds minor league team. I've always kind of liked baseball, especially if I get to see the game at the park. I've also always kind of like baseball *players*. Ahem.
Anyway...I'm guessing this was the summer between my Jr. and Sr. year.
My friends and I would frequently go to Firebirds games. Usually we sat around/near first base, where the visiting team's dugout was. One evening, I decided that one of the players for the visiting team was pretty cute. His name was Tim.
So, being a stupid teen-aged girl, I managed to catch his eye. Or at least, he caught me staring at him a couple of times. One of the times he smiled at me, and waved. I waved back, thrilled. A little later, he called some little boys down to the rail that separated the stands from the field. He talked to them, handed them something, and then the kids ran over to me.
"That baseball player wants your phone number!" one of the boys said, and he shoved a torn off piece of paper in my hand, along with a pen.
So, being a stupid teen-aged girl, I was tickled pink, and happily scribbled my number on the paper, along with my name. The boys (who were also excited to be messengers) ran it back over to Tim and handed it to him.
I was BEYOND excited. Ugh.
Sure enough later that night, he called and asked me if I wanted to go out (keep in mind, I had *just* turned 17, and he was probably at least 26 or 27. Maybe older.). We decided that I would pick him up from the hotel his team was staying at the next night...he said he had to have dinner with some family that lived in town, but that we could go out after that. He gave me the room number.
So, being a stupid teen-aged girl, I actually went to this hotel. All. By. Myself.
I go up to the room at the appointed time, and knock on the door. There are four or five baseball players in there, and none of them are Tim. Of course I got invited in anyway, and being a stupid teen-aged girl, I went in. They all told me that Tim had said I was coming, and that he was just running a little late, and that I was welcome to wait for him.
Thankfully, these guys were great. We had a fun time, and nothing inappropriate happened. They ordered food for me, and we all sat around laughing and talking. Tim was running really, really late...in fact I recall watching Letterman with those guys. They kept saying, "If *I* was taking you out, *I* wouldn't have been late" etc. I remember one of them was enthralled with how tall I am...that really seemed to make him happy.
Finally...I decided Tim had blown me off, so I said goodbye to my new friends and left.
As I walked across the parking lot to my car, another vehicle came in and stopped in front of me. Tim got out of the back seat, and came up to me, apologizing profusely. His family had kept him out later than he wanted, blah blah blah.
He looked really, really good. Yummy.
So, because I was a stupid teen-aged girl, I let him get in my car with me. We ended up parked out on South Mountain, where there was a beautiful view of the city all lit up. We got out, and sat on the hood of my car. It took about ten seconds before we started making out hot and heavy.
At some point during the fun (and it *was* fun), a small voice of reason entered my brain, and suggested that maybe losing my virginity to a minor league pitcher on the hood of my Mustang was maybe not such a good idea.
Poor Tim. I ended up taking him back to his hotel, without him getting what he wanted, and thankfully he didn't try to force the issue.
I tell you...teenagers do some stupid shit. When I think about going to a hotel to meet a total stranger, ending up in a hotel room full of strange men, then going to a secluded place in the desert with one, all at the tender age of seventeen...I was really, really lucky that didn't end up badly.
I hope my daughter has more brains that I did at that age!
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jeez, I don't think there's a girl who doesn't have a story just like that. (BTW, I went to Chaparral High/Scottsdale). I look back and can't believe I survived my childhood. Probably the one good thing I had going was that I was a tomboy growing up and if push came to shove, I could seriously become an angry hellcat. Prepare her for any scenario and let her know all the "scams" guys use to make their minds turn to moosh. I suspect she'll be completely confident with your wisdom.
ReplyDeleteAutumn forest is right, I looked at your post header and i thought "weren't we all!" Boys make you do the dumbest things at that age, i am trying to forget!!
ReplyDelete