Thursday, April 16, 2009

First Sunday, After the First Full Moon, After the Equinox

Easter weekend, 2009 has come and gone.

I really enjoy Easter, because it is one of those Christian holidays that is just chock-full of Pagan traditions...and let's face it, no one knows how to put on a fun-filled holiday celebration like the Pagans!

We spent the weekend in Phoenix with my husband's family, and had a great time. I absolutely LOVE my husband's family. I am one of those rare, extremely lucky individuals who has wonderful in-laws. DH has a large family, too...he's one of 7 kids. When there is a family holiday get-together, it comes along with a whole bunch of cute nieces and nephews. All the girls were dressed up in their pretty Easter dresses, looking like cheerful spring flowers. I tried to get a group photo of all of them together, but the littlest ones had the wiggles. Those two on the right end are my girls, aren't they cute?

The day before Easter we drove down the mountain to the desert. It was essentially blizzarding when we started out, the wind whipping up the snow and icy pellets. Down in Phoenix, the precipitation continued, but to us it was warm! Bug set up her egg dying shop on the back patio, and we painted brightly colored eggs while the sky was heavy and grey. The rain poured down, the thunder cracked. It was great! My MIL and FIL kept trying to get us to put on jackets, but to us the temperature was quite comfortable.

Easter dinner was delicious, with all the traditional dishes. The ham was especially good.

Our dog, Luna, created the only drama on Easter day. My little two-year-old niece had a lovely cookie in her hand, and was toddling along with it. Luna, of course, thought that since the cookie was right about doggie-eye-level, it must be being offered to her, right? Luna ever so gently took the cookie right out of my niece's hand and dashed off with it. It took about 5 full seconds for my niece to fully grasp what had just occured, and then the tears came. She was SO upset. My FIL found this quite amusing, and was still chuckling about it the next day. Luna the dog says she feels terrible about the misunderstanding, but that the cookie was quite good.

So...another Easter is in the books. I do love being part of this big family. I am an only child, and although being around such a huge crowd at family gatherings can feel a little overwhelming at times, I always end up enjoying myself, and wishing we lived closer. Or rather, that they lived closer to us!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing on my blog, it was good to hear from you, it looks like you had a great Easter. Hope all is well, when you did you quit your job, and get to stay home? You children are beautiful and of course Hi for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI TARA!!! I went on maternity leave about three weeks before Julia arrived, because of preggo issues...and then I resigned my position a few weeks after she was born. My salary just wasn't good enough to justify paying for childcare, and of course I am awfully happy and grateful to be caring for my daughter myself instead of having a stranger do it! It is really good to hear from you, we miss you in Flagstaff. Even Kanani says hello, LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're daughters are adorable, that egg is gorgoeous and that story about Luna was hysterical! TY

    ReplyDelete
  4. We wish you all lived closer to us! Is it time now for you guys to return to the Midwest?
    I've enjoyed your blog! Lots of great stories.
    Gill

    ReplyDelete